"Platypus" is the current camp mascot of Camp Campbell. It is mainly designed to resemble a regular platypus in real life, but slightly more carnivorous and aggressive. As it was shown to have digested an entire bear in its debut episode and even went as far as to devour its own young in "Eggs Benefits."
The Platypus mainly resembles a normal creature of it's species. However, this particular specimen appears to have large sharp teeth, a bright orange beak, a diet consisting of much larger prey than normal, and high levels of aggression.
It is unknown where this creature came from or why it has such unusual features. However, it's implied that it may have been a former subject from the lab below Cameron Campbell's summer home. It's also implied that before being first discovered, the creature had recently managed to kill and eat an entire bear down to the bones.The Platypus is first seen in the episode "Mascot", where Neil and Nikki discover it in a cave while inspecting the skeleton of a bear. Nikki is initially uninterested in the creature until Neil mentions the venomous spur on its hind leg. However, the Platypus proves too hostile for even Nikki, and proceeds to chase them out of the cave, through the woods, and out to the end of a dock back at Camp Campbell. The creature's rampage is stopped by Gwen, who simply grabs it by the tail and drops it, which results in the animal becoming much less aggressive towards the campers, and becoming more lazy and uninterested. It becomes the camp's mascot after it eats Larry the Hamster, who had been presumed dead.
The Platypus is next seen during the camper's hostile takeover of the camp in "Camp Cool Kidz", ambushing a raccoon and eating it.
The Platypus makes another appearance in "Romeo & Juliet II: Love Resurrected" where it was dressed as Lady Capulet for the play.
The Platypus is seen again during the episode "Camporee", where it is pulled out of a hat by the Flower Scouts and attacks them.
The Platypus was then seen in "Eggs Benefits" where it laid several eggs and Cameron Campbell puts the campers in pairs and has each group watch over an egg (so he could sell the babies later). Due to various reasons, they all break except Nikki and Max's and it hatches, only for it to be immediately eaten by the Platypus.
In Cookin' Cookies the Platypus accompanied Max, Nikki, and Neil on their unknown adventure and briefly made an appearance at the end of the episode wearing a Pharaoh's headdress.
During Parents' Day, the Platypus was messily eating mashed potatoes in the mess hall along with the other campers. Ered's parents started questioning the safety of the camp after seeing the creature devour its meal at the table with the other kids.
- So far, the Platypus is the only character with more than one voice actor.
- Out of all of the campers, the Platypus associate with the trio the most since it is seen hanging out with them on several occasions. Such as their trek to Spooky Island in "Journey to Spooky Island," or their journey to (presumably) Egypt in "Cookin' Cookies" as it was seen wearing a Pharaoh's headdress.
- The Platypus is the first ever mascot of the camp to not be a hamster after Larry and the lineage of previous hamster mascots.
- The campers have named themselves after it, specifically using the suffix of its name, which ended up with them calling themselves "The Pussies".
- Though platypuses are normally carnivorous, eating things smaller than them such as worms, insects, snails and whatnot. This Platypus is shown to eat things that are as big as, if not, bigger than itself. This is shown in the episode "Mascot" where it is seen to have eaten a whole bear down to its bones, it's shown again in "Camp Cool Kidz" where it was seen eating a raccoon and again in "Eggs Benefits" where it straight out devoured its own young.
- According to the writers, the inspiration for the Platypus was for comical relief purposes wherein they just wanted to write in an animal that does nothing all day but just lay around.
- The Platypus is also frequently made to wear costumes for several camp and non-camp activities, such as when it was dressed as Lady Capulet in "Romeo and Juliet II: Love Resurrected" due to the lack of people to play as the characters and when it was seen dressed as a Pharaoh during the trio's venture to Egypt in "Cookin' Cookies."
- Mr. Campbell is shown to be very afraid of it since he states that it "practically owns the camp" as he backs away from it in "Parents' Day."
- Campbell advises "Don't let it kick you". Platypi have venomous spurs in their hind legs. (although only males, while the Camp Capbell platypus has been estabilished as female)
- The Platypus is the very first character to get its own plush toy in the Rooster Teeth store which can make a variety of platypus noises when you squeeze its belly. It is currently being sold for $24.95.
- To see the full gallery, go to Platypus/Gallery.