- This article is a stub. Please help out the Camp Camp Wikia by expanding it.
|“||And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the greatest trick of all. Getting a cynical, closed-minded asshole to believe in magic!||”|
"Mind Freakers" is the 10th episode of the first season of Camp Camp and is the 10th episode overall.
|“||Harrison does a magic trick that Neil can't figure out. Desperately, Neil begins to do whatever it takes to find an answer.||”|
The episode starts with Nikki being impressed by Harrison's magic tricks. Max and Neil walk into the crowd cheering for Harrison as Max starts to question what they were all gathered around for. To which Space Kids responds with, Harrison doing his amazing magic tricks. Neil disagrees with his statement which brings the attention of the crowd, he gets into an argument with Harrison and tries to prove that Science can explain each and every trick that Harrison has ever done. He ends up getting little to no sleep trying to figure out how his latest trick works, which ended up traumatizing Max in the process.
After the intro, the scene pans to Max waking up to a sleep deprived Neil with his complicated explanations on how Harrison's tricks can be explained by Science, all scribbled on a big blackboard. As Neil starts to question Max on how he experienced the trick in his point of view, Max dismisses the idea and retreats to the Mess Hall for breakfast instead. Neil hears Nikki's enthusiastic remarks on Harrison's magic tricks from outside their tent and witnesses Harrison doing more magic tricks which easily impresses Nikki. Neil hears about how Harrison stated that his last trick was more on Physics than actual magic, and gets enraged again. Harrison then states that only true magic believers can witness the power of magic. Neil drags Nikki to the side and quickly inquires her if Harrison ever taught her about his trick, to which he gets a response of "maybe." Neil ends up asking Nikki to learn and know more of Harrison's tricks as a favor.
The next scene proceeds to Max in the Mess Hall, poking around with his food. As Neil enters and strikes up a conversation on selfishness with him, albeit doing the same to Max as of the moment. Max ends up throwing up a bouquet of flowers and decides that he wasn't all that hungry anyway and pushes his tray to the side, heading for the showers.
Nikki walks in and happily greets Neil with good news. As to which upsets Neil even more, and ends up taking Nikki under his wing. Neil "christens" Nikki to Level 4 and vowes to prove Harrison wrong. Nikki nonchalantly agrees to this.
Nikki and Neil stands before the crowd of campers on Harrison's Magic Camp platform, attempting to redo his trick but with the help of Science and his new apprentice, Nikki. As they get doubtful responses from the crowd with a surprised Harrison. Neil gets enraged by the minute and rambles on and on about how Science can explain any phenomenon. Thus bringing out the same chain of handkerchiefs tied together, with the rabbit and Quartermaster's hook. Harrison tries to stop him to no avail.
The crowd grows more excited and eager to witness his trick as Nikki starts to have second thoughts as to which Neil reassures her that everything will be fine. Nikki's worries wash away as Neil proceeds to shove the chain down her throat. Nikki ends up gagging a lot and starts to feel uneasy. The crowd is completely mortified at the sight. Preston questions loudly as to where the counselors were when in time of need. David and Gwen are then seen watching Rob Boss in the Counselor's Cabin. Not having a care in the world as they sink into the relaxing show at the moment.
Meanwhile, Nikki is still dying at an alarming rate. Neil ends up regretting his actions and admits that he doesn't know how to fix it all. Harrison offers to help with the power of magic, but this idea enrages Neil once more, but not after Harrison shoots back at him. Stating that magic is the only fast enough way to save Nikki. But only if Neil starts to believe in magic. The crowd turns serious and threatens Neil to believe in magic. Neil doesn't know what to do anymore and starts doubting his beliefs. He spots Max and inquires him on what he thinks he should do. To which Max replies with vomiting out a pigeon. Max retreats back to his tent which makes Neil finally give in.
As Neil finally admits that he believed in magic, Harrison is seen with a sneaky grin plastered on his face. He then stands up, bows to the crowd and reveals how his greatest trick was to "get a cynical, close-minded asshole to believe in magic". The crowd cheers happily at this as Neil was the only one who was still in distress as Nikki was still, obviously suffering on the cold wooden planks of the platform. After he asks Harrison as to what will eventually happen to Nikki, she strikes up, unharmed, shouting out how it was all just a trick. Neil is baffled beyond words at the stunt that Harrison pulled. Harrison explains for the final time how it's all thanks to magic, boops Neil's nose and bows once more at the crowd. Earning a "Fuck You" from Neil.
- Camp Campbell
- Magic Camp
- Counselor's Cabin
- Max and Neil's coffee maker
- Max's "NOPE" mug
- Harrison's chain of handkerchiefs
- David's phone
- Gwen's laptop, phone and iPad
- In "Reigny Day", Max hints that he and Neil share the same tent by stating "Well, more tent for me" after everyone assumed that Neil was dead. This is later confirmed in this episode.
- It is also shown that he and Neil share a coffee maker, it is seen propped up on a log in their tent.
- Max is only ever shown to take off his hoodie when he's asleep, then proceeds to put in on for the rest of the day to conceal his Camp Camp shirt.
- David and Gwen are shown to watch "Rob Boss" together during their spare time.
- While David and Gwen are seen watching "Rob Boss", David's drawers that are visible in the background are labeled "David" and "Knee High Socks", respectively.
- In contrast to David who only has one gadget, his phone. Gwen is shown to own a phone, a laptop and an iPad, respectively as seen in the background charging on top of her drawer.
- The title of the episode (as well as the multiple mentions of Neil having his mind "freaked") is presumably a reference to the TV series Criss Angel Mindfreak hosted by magician Criss Angel.
- When Harrison makes Max throw up a long chain of scarves tied together, the chain also seems to include a white stuffed rabbit, the Quartermaster's hook, and Ered's purple skateboard.
- Neil writes a bunch of numbers and equations on a chalkboard in an attempt to understand how Harrison did the trick. Among these, the quadratic formula is visible, as well as the number 23 written over and over on the right side of the board.
- When Neil asks Nikki if Harrison is teaching her his tricks, she mentions that she wanted to learn "Avada Kedavra", but that Harrison told her it was forbidden. This is the Killing Curse from the Harry Potter series. Later, when Neil tells her that she is now his apprentice, she mentions that she has so much to learn and hasn't even been sorted into a House yet.
- Neil later asks Nikki, "Did he reveal his secret? Masked Magician-style?" This is a reference to Val Valentino, an illusionist performing under the stage name "the Masked Magician" who hosted a series of specials titled Breaking the Magician's Code: Magic's Biggest Secrets Finally Revealed in which he explained the methods behind various magic tricks and illusions.
- When Neil chugs the rest of his mug in anger after Nikki tells him what Harrison said, the bottom of his mug is visible and is labeled "IKEYA", likely a reference to the furniture retailer IKEA.
- When Neil "christens" Nikki as level 4, he performs the sign of the cross on her.
- While the events of the episode are going on, David and Gwen are shown to be watching a show that is clearly meant to resemble Bob Ross's hugely popular series The Joy of Painting.
- Harrison tells Neil that the spell to save Nikki is powered by belief, like a Spirit Bomb (an attack from the Dragon Ball franchise that works by absorbing energy from the surrounding people).
- Nikki refers to Neil as fam, a slang term for the word "family".
- The Nurf-centric nature of the previous episode, as well as the overall low screentime of the main cast, is lampshaded by Neil and Nikki. They also suggest that they will probably do something crazy next week anyway, a reference to the fact that they have much more prominent roles in this episode.
- The red shading on David's left elbow appears to be missing during the scene where he and Gwen are shown to watch "Rob Boss" during their spare time.
- The transcript for "Mind Freakers" may be edited here.
Neil: I was just thinking about that trick that Harrison did yesterday. Not that I care about it, but I'm THIS close to figuring it out, and I just need to know, at what point did he surgically insert the handkerchief and rabbit into your stomach? Were you awake for it? Or did he put you under?!
Neil: He would have you believe that things like magic really do exist, but we know that's not true! Magic goes against the very laws of nature. Everything can be explained by SCIENCE. Even his tricks! So, to prove him wrong, I am going to re-create his magic trick.
- To see the full gallery, go to Mind Freakers/Gallery.