|“||That's why I'll never stop trying. Because somebody fucking has to.||”|
— David, "The Order of the Sparrow"
David is one of the two counselors working at Camp Campbell. He is a cheerful, happy-go-lucky guy who would do just about anything to show people the bright side of camping. His personality clashes with that of Gwen, his co-counselor.
David has a thin, lanky build, short auburn hair, and blue-green eyes. He wears a long-sleeved Camp Campbell counselor T-shirt with rolled-up sleeves and olive green shorts, as well as white socks, brown shoes, and a yellow Camp Campbell t-shirt and brown vest, much like camp founder, Cameron Campbell.
Back when David was a camper, his hair was more rounded. He wore a yellow shirt, a brown vest, olive shorts, and white socks with brown shoes.
David is shown to be upbeat, enthusiastic, and happy-go-lucky as he tries desperately to put the positive spin on any situation, much to Max and fellow co-counselor Gwen's ire. He has a blind admiration for Cameron Campbell, to the point that he puts all his effort into trying to uphold the legacy of the camp to the best of his ability. Unlike Gwen, he has never sworn except on one occasion in ""The Order of the Sparrow." David is very energetic, often being shown skipping and making dramatic gestures. In "Scout's Dishonor," David even says he lies in bed awake in eager anticipation for the next day rather than actually sleeping.
In "Reigny Day," it has been shown that David can be inconsiderate in the face of obsession, as he was obsessed with obtaining the "Camp Counselor of the Year" award from the Camp Critic Committee. Rudely ignoring his co-counselor Gwen, who tried to inform him of the bad weather. Another such occurence took place when Neil was briefly believed to be murdered; he sobbed, saying, "There goes my award!"
In the episode "The Order of the Sparrow", when Max tells him to give up, David replies that despite Max having a point about camping and how no one seems to care, he's still going to because as he quotes, "somebody fucking has to." This shows that David isn't as naive as he seems and that his optimism is only matched by his determination, which in the end paid off.
As a child and Campbell camper himself, David is shown to have hated the camp much like Max. In "Jasper Dies at the End", after going with Jasper and Mr. Campbell on a hike in the woods, he was forced to use his own wits to find and save Jasper, which caused him to develop a love for camp after being awarded a "best camper" badge.
David would do anything in his power to make Max and the others see the true beauty of camping. Throughout the series, David tries everything in his power to get the campers to see the camp from his optimistic perspective. However, after learning the origin of Max's negative attitude in "Parents' Day ", he finally understands and apologizes to Max.
|“||Counselor Buddies For Life! CBFL!||”|
—David to Gwen in "Gwen Gets a Job"
Despite the irritation David's cheerful antics cause Gwen, he actually shows himself to deeply care about her. This is seen in "Gwen Gets a Job" when he comforts her after she admits that she's afraid David would be upset if she were to get a different job.
- David and Max are the only characters whose ages have been clearly established (with David being 24 and Max,10.)
- Miles Luna, David's voice actor, has also voiced Jaune Arc from RWBY.
- As revealed in "Romeo & Juliet II: Love Resurrected," David is shown to have a Tinder dating account, with his bio being the activities mentioned in the theme song.
- One of the running gags in the show is that David often gets injured, such as being run over by a bus/car or stabbed.
- As shown in "Camporee," the bandanna David wears is actually his Camp Campbell camper shirt from camper himself as a child.
- David has sworn once so far, near the end of the episode "The Order of the Sparrow".
- As a kid, David was called "Davey" as revealed in "Jasper Dies at the End."
- In his younger days, he was actually very similar to Max, it could be implied that he believes that Max will turn out like him.
- Although Mr. Campbell still addresses David as "Davey," as he did when David was a camper there himself despite now being a counselor.
- David likes trail mix, as revealed in the episode "Anti-Social Network".
- Since he and Gwen share the same Counselors' Cabin, David sleeps on the right side of the room. His side sports a corkboard labeled "Memories" hanging on the wall, a mug that says "#1 Counselor," his drawer labeled "David" and "Knee High Socks," the "morning wood" that he sleeps with, and a DIY Guitar Repair Kit as seen in "Cult Camp".
- David writes "Max + Positivity = Success" on his clipboard in the episode "Mascot" which is later seen framed up the Counselor Cabin's wall.
- In "Quartermaster Appreciation Day," The Quartermaster reveals that if he were ever to betray the camp someday, he'd go for David first.
- Similar to Darla and Gregg, he and Gwen both have the same initials and both are working hand in hand as co-counselors of Camp Campbell.
- To see the full gallery, go to David/Gallery.